Monday, March 9, 2009

Banned!

Welcome to Banned and Burned: Reading Challenged Books in Public. Fascinated by any attempt to restrict information, I decided to read as many banned books as possible, borrowing as many as I can from local libraries. In reading I hope to uncover, whether obvious or not, the subversive or questionable elements these books present to the various organizations who in turn seek to keep anyone else from experiencing. I'll be using a couple of resources to compile my list of banned books: Wikipedia has a list of commonly challenged and banned books and the American Library Association publishes a list of most frequently challenged books and authors each year. Additionally, the Banned Book Resource Guide is published every three years. Using these, I hope to develop a better picture of the books someone doesn't want you to read. I'll post what book I'm reading now if anyone cares to join in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment